One of our most popular procedures we do here at our clinic is called Microneedling. Clients always have a lot of questions about what it is and what it can do for them.
So first of all, what is Micro needling?
- A microneedle is this electronic device that has numerous small needles in the head.
- The device we use at About Face is called a Skin Pen, and it’s the only FDA approved micro needle in the industry. It’s always important to ask what kind of device the clinic you are at uses, because you want to make sure you are in good hands and it’s safe.
- The device is lightly pressed and passed over the treatment area to create microscopic channels through the surface of the skin, causing your natural growth factors to be released.
- This process stimulates your natural skin renewal process, which generates new collagen and elastin fibers that can thicken the skin, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, acne scarring, sun damage, and stretch marks.
What conditions does micro needling help?
Microneedling can be used to help treat a lot of different things.
- We’ve treated clients for fine lines and wrinkles on their face, or just overall skin texture and pore size. It can really smooth out the appearance of the skin and decrease pore sizes over time.
- We’ve treated clients for sun damage and age spots
- Scars from stretch marks, C-section, for example
- Another common challenge that microneedling can help with is acne scarring
What is the procedure like?
- Before the procedure, we wash the treatment area, and then apply a topical numbing agent to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
- Once that takes effect, the procedure itself may range from 15 to 30 minutes, depending how big the area is.
Is it painful?
- Most patients report feeling just the slight vibration of the microneedle during the procedure. It feels like if someone put an electronic toothbrush against your skin. You feel vibration, but it doesn’t hurt.
Are there any side effects?
- This is one of the coolest parts about the procedure, is that there is very little down time.
- Immediately after the procedure, your skin will appear slightly pink to red, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn, and you may have some redness, tenderness and swelling. We will provide you with a soothing aftercare product called Skinfuse® RESCUE Calming Complex, which is formulated to calm the skin and reduce inflammation.
- The best part about microneedling is that there is very little down time. Generally, the redness and other side-effects subside after 24 hours. It’s so much quicker than if you get a chemical peel and you are peeling for 2 weeks in front of coworkers and friends. With microneedling, you are back to your normal self really quickly
How many treatments do you need?
- This varies depending on your condition and what you are looking to achieve. It could be anywhere from 3-6 treatments, done every 4-6 weeks.
- This is something we determine with each individual patient during our consultations.
How long do the results last?
- The results depend greatly on your current condition, how many treatments are administered, and your at-home skincare products to compliment the micro needling procedure.
- Some clients see results quicker than others, and it may last longer on some people than on others. This is true for every procedure
I hope this gave you a better idea of what microneedling is all about. Give us a call at the number below for a free consultation if you are interested in getting more information about a specific treatment area. We’ll sit down together and answer all of your questions and develop a treatment plan tailor made for you, so you can get the results you want.